Motorcycling is a very popular summertime past time for many Colorado residents. Why? Colorado boasts some of the most beautiful scenery in the nation and its twisting and winding mountain roads make it ideal for motorcycle enthusiasts. Yet, motorcycling in Colorado is not without risks and each year thousands of bikers are injured and killed in motorcycling accidents.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, the steps you take immediately after the crash can impact your health, your future, and your ability to file a claim.
5 Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident:
- Remove yourself and your bike from danger: Immediately after your accident, if you are able to, remove yourself and your bike from the road. Oncoming vehicles have injured many bikers further, simply because they did not see them in the road. Find a safe place to sit or lie until the paramedics can arrive.
- Report your incident to the police: It is illegal to leave the scene of an accident, so it is in your best interest to call the police after your accident. In addition, a police report is critical to establishing liability and filing a claim later.
- Obtain medical attention: Even if you believe that you are uninjured, it is important to seek medical attention (Click here for the best hospitals in Colorado). Many head injuries and soft tissue injuries worsen over the next 24 hours and it is important to have your injuries documented by a physician. If you have been injured, your doctor can admit you and monitor you closely for complications.
- Notify your insurance company: Your insurance company will need to be notified of the accident. Do not speak to the other driver’s insurance company however, without talking to a lawyer first – and never sign any documents or settlements. Insurance companies are notorious for offering motorcycle accident victims a low-ball settlement that is only a fraction of what they need – and deserve.
- Contact a Colorado motorcycle lawyer: It is important to discuss your accident with an experienced Colorado motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer will be able to help negotiate with insurance companies and help you obtain the money you need to fully recover.
A Colorado Motorcycle Accident Attorney can Maximize your Recovery
In a motorcycle accident, there can be multiple parties to blame – including other drivers, state and government agencies responsible for maintaining the roads, and even the motorcycle manufacturer. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will know who is liable for your accident and will help you recover the maximum possible compensation.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Colorado Springs, it is important to contact an experienced Colorado Springs motorcycle accident attorney to help you. You do not have to face your injury and the insurance companies alone. Contact the experienced Colorado Springs motorcycle accident attorneys at the Green Law Firm today to schedule a no-obligation consultation and discuss your case. Call us today at 1-719-419-9484.