According to recent statistics from the Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 2.2 million children under the age of 17-years-old were treated in emergency rooms because of bicycle-related accidents in the last decade. Broken down even further, that means that 25 children every hour are injured in bicycle accidents that are severe enough to require emergency treatment.
The study also found that the majority of bicycle injuries involved children between the ages of 10 and 14 – most of them boys. The injuries ranged from broken bones to serious head injuries and sometimes led to a lifetime of pain and suffering if not treated quickly. The majority of the injuries sustained were to the upper extremities, most commonly bruises, scrapes, and cuts. Traumatic brain injuries accounted for 11% of all the injuries, most commonly in patients between 10 and 14.
Steps Parents can Take to Protect a Child from Bike Injuries
While parents can’t prevent every accident from occurring, there are steps parents can take to reduce the risk of serious bicycle injuries.
- Buy the right size bicycle for your child
- Teach your child to always wear a helmet when riding
- Select a well-fitted helmet that is certified by the Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Educate yourself on how to properly fit your child’s helmet. Straps should form a “V” around the ears and the chin strap should be snug.
- Teach your child the rules of the road
- Teach them to not ride on the wrong side of the road
- Teach your child to use hand signals
- Make sure your child is dressed in bright colors
- Make sure the bike is fitted with reflectors
- Teach your child to use bike paths whenever available
- Wear a helmet when you ride so you set a good example
When safety precautions are taken, bicycling can be a great way for kids to get outside and play. It can build confidence, encourage independence, and help keep them healthy and active. Parents that prepare their children by teaching them bicycling safety can help them avoid serious and potentially fatal accidents.
Contact Our Colorado Springs Bicycle Accident Lawyers Today
Has your child been seriously injured in a bicycle accident in Colorado Springs? If so, we know how difficult and scary this time can be for parents and families. That’s why we offer experienced and compassionate legal assistance throughout, so you can focus on your family and on helping your child recover. During this time, we will go to work for you, to ensure that you have the money you need to pay for your child’s medical expenses both now- and in the future. Contact the experienced Colorado Springs car accident attorneys at the Green Law Firm today to schedule a no-obligation consultation and discuss your case. Call us today at 1-719-694-8515.